Thursday, October 30, 2008

COLLEGE


Should we abolish the electoral college? NO. I say keep the college but abolish the idea of electors. As quirky as the college is I like that it allows smaller states to get recognition. Maybe I like it so much because the college system has resulted in the first congressional district, our own little Fredericksburg, to host two candidates only a short time before elections. It forces campaigns to be run outside of just large cities and California. What I don't like is the electors. I think with all the advancements in technology and the media that Americans are capable of becoming informed. Low voter turn out is fueled by the thought that the citizens vote does not count. Give the decision to the people...eliminate electors. Add up the popular vote in each state and award electoral votes in a winner take all style. I like winner take all so a decision can be made sooner rather than later.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I think alot of people dont vote if they know their state always votes Red or Blue. If you used a nationwide popular vote, then every vote would matter. It seems like the only fair way to me.