Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Following the Rules

I think that the idea behind the town hall debate is great. In theory questions undecided voters have will be answered from the candidates. One of the questions I appreciated was one about trusting the candidates and their parties. Here is my shake......The rules of the debate were laid out way in advance. They each signed statements saying they would follow the rules of the debate. However within the very debate and that question itself both candidates broke their promise. They 1. didn't directly answer the question and 2. went over time. I understand it must be difficult to follow the debate rules but they did not model they were trustworthy by breaking the rules of the debate. HMMMMMMM I also thought it was crazy how "up in the questioners grill" the candidates were. I understand wanting to connect to them on a personal level.... but personal space people. On a positive note I did feel as if this debate was much better than the first and that they at least did more than buzz drop. I also enjoyed watching their body language. It was obvious that Obama is a lawyer and that kind of forum was at one time his job. ie persuading a room of people via Q & A rhetoric.

No comments: